2009 Quinta do Vallado Tinto

Year: 2009
Appellation: Douro
Country: Portugal
Wine Spectator: 90
Wine Advocate: 90
Wine Enthusiast: 89
Red Wine
Price :
$16.95
Sorry, this product is not currently for sale.

30% Touriga Franca, 25% Touriga Nacional, 20% Tinta Roriz, 20% Vinhas Velhas, 5% Sousao

"Essence of blackberry and raspberry, with interesting accents of sage and tarragon. Offers understated power, with a fresh acidity that keeps it all lively. Finishes with mineral and black olive. Tinta Barroca, Tinta Roriz, Touriga Franca, Touriga Nacional and Sousão. Drink now through 2015. 8,125 cases made." (WS)

"The 2009 Tinto is this year’s version of Vallado’s entry level red, which has become a consistent value point in this lineup and in the Douro in general. A blend of 30% Touriga Franca, 25% Touriga Nacional, 20% Tinta Roriz, 20% old vines field blend (70 years or more) and 5% Sousao, it is rather concentrated this year, with good focus and structure, plus persistent, rather delicious flavors. It may be a tiny hair behind the 2007 – time will tell-- but it is on par with the quality I’ve been seeing on this bottling over the last few vintages, showing good concentration and focus for the basic Tinto. It is again a nice value in this lineup, something I’ve become accustomed to saying, but I’d underline that this year. In many years, if it has a flaw, it is rather light and not terribly concentrated. This year, at least relatively speaking, it combines both elegance and a bit more depth. It has some 2009 oomph. Drink now-2019. " (WA)

"A rich, ripe, warm wine, smoothed with soft tannins. The open, generous fruit character is given an extra edge with textured wood and acidity. A black, tarry aftertaste adds further complexity. " (WE)

Winery Notes:
Winemaker Notes Nearly 80% of the Estate-grown grapes came from younger vines (8-to-12 years of age), with the remaining 20% coming from very old parts of the vineyards (vines of 70 years or older). The majority of the grapes, both from the old and newer vines, were fermented in 10,000 kg stainless steel tanks for a week, while a small portion of the grapes from the old vineyards were foot- trodden and fermented in lagares for the same period. All the grapes were fermented at controlled temperatures, ranging between 26°and 28°C. The finest of the press wine, from a traditional basket press, was also used for aging into the final blend. Eighty percent of the final blend was aged 14 months in stainless steel tanks, while the remaining 20% was aged in 225 litre French Oak barriques for 14 months, until final blending.

Food Pairing Notes
Serve at room temperature with light meat dishes, such as pork, or flavorful, hard cheeses, such as Italian cow and sheep’s milk cheeses.